Are you looking into cosmetic dentistry? If you’re not satisfied with your smile, there are a variety of ways to improve it. Cosmetic dentistry refers to any dental procedure that is performed for the purpose of improving the appearance of your teeth. It includes a wide range of treatments and strategies.
How much does cosmetic dentistry cost in Nassau County and the surrounding area? It depends on the procedure and the purpose of it. Most cosmetic dentistry procedures are not covered by dental or medical insurance unless there is a need for it from a health standpoint.
Procedures That Are Always Considered Cosmetic
Cosmetic dentistry procedures are not usually covered by your dental or medical insurance. Such procedures include:
- Teeth whitening. There is really no medical need to have white teeth, although it greatly improves the appearance of your smile. It is merely cosmetic, therefore teeth whitening is not covered by insurance. Professional teeth whitening by a dentist usually ranges from $350-$850.
- Veneers. Veneers are usually made of porcelain or composite resin and attach to the front of your teeth to improve their appearance. Veneers cover discoloration, uneven or crooked teeth, and gaps. Porcelain veneers range in cost from $500-$2,500 per tooth. Composite veneers range between $250-$1,500 per tooth. Veneers tend to be stronger, more natural looking, and more resistant to staining, which are the main reasons for the higher cost.
- Composite bonding. Composite resin, the same material used to fill cavities, can be used to even out a tooth that has been broken or worn down. It can also be used to cover discoloration. The cost ranges from about $300-$600 per tooth.
Procedures That Are Cosmetic and Serve a Health Purpose
Some procedures are not only cosmetic, but also contribute to the patient’s dental and/or medical health. Insurance may cover a portion of the following:
- Crowns. A crown is usually made of porcelain and fits over the existing tooth. A crown preserves the root of the tooth and is most often used to correct a cracked or severely decayed tooth. The average cost of a crown is $500-$1,850.
- Dental implants. When a tooth is missing or damaged beyond repair, a dental implant can be used to replace it. An implant consists of an artificial tooth and root. The root is made of titanium and is surgically placed in the jaw bone. The crown attaches to the top and provides a natural look and function. Dental implants range from $3,000-$4,500 per tooth.
- Bridges. A bridge is an artificial tooth, or sometimes a row of teeth, that is attached to the existing healthy teeth. One type of bridge is suspended between two crowns that fit over the teeth on either side of the gap. Other types attach to just one crown or to metal that is cemented to the back of existing teeth. Bridges only cost between $500-$1,500.
- Invisalign. An orthodontic treatment, Invisalign corrects the position of the teeth like braces, but uses clear plastic aligners that fit over the teeth. If your dental insurance offers coverage for braces, it will most likely cover Invisalign. However, usually only a portion of the treatment is covered. Invisalign averages around $3,000-$7,000.
These procedures are not just cosmetic because they offer additional health benefits, such as jaw health, tooth health, and the ability to get proper nutrition.
Cosmetic Dentistry at Barkoff Dental
If you’re interested in, or in need of, a cosmetic dentistry procedure, Barkoff Dental provides the above services and more. We do our best to access as much of your insurance as possible for dental procedures to reduce your out of pocket costs. Barkoff Dental can help you improve your smile in a variety of ways.