Are your teeth as white as you’d like them to be? Whiter teeth simply look healthier and give you a more aesthetically pleasing smile. Professional teeth whitening offers quality results, giving you dramatically whiter teeth in as little as one treatment.
If you’re considering professional teeth whitening treatment, you probably want to know how long it lasts before you invest in it. Here’s what you need to know about teeth whitening treatment from your dentist’s office.
What is Professional Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening treatments provided by your dentist contain the active ingredient carbamide peroxide. This is the whitening agent that removes stains and brightens your teeth. It is stronger and more effective than hydrogen peroxide that is found in over the counter products, yet it is safe for your teeth.
Types of Professional Teeth Whitening
There are two types of professional teeth whitening provided by your dentist:
- In-office whitening. Your dentist will apply teeth whitening treatment while you are in the dental office. This is typically done in a single appointment. A rubber shield or protective gel is applied to the gums for protection, then the whitening agent is applied. A special light is used to activate the whitening agent to accelerate your results. Your dentist can control the degree of whitening for a natural appearance.
- At-home whitening. Your dentist will create a custom tray for you to use with your at-home whitening treatment to ensure even application of the whitening agent. You will wear your whitening trays according to your comfort level and the degree of whitening you are seeking. You should see results in about 2 weeks.
How Long Do The Results Last?
The results of teeth whitening treatment may last anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. How long your teeth stay white depends on a variety of factors:
- Type of treatment. The results of in-office treatment tend to last longer than at-home treatment. You can expect the results of your in-office treatment to last for 1-3 years and for your at-home treatment results to last 6 months to a year.
- Dietary habits. If you frequently consume teeth staining foods and beverages, such as coffee, tea, red wine, tomato sauce, soy sauce, dark berries, and artificially dyed foods your teeth may not stay white as long.
- Dental hygiene habits. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day will help your teeth stay whiter between whitening treatments.
- Frequency of touch-ups. Professional whitening treatments often come with touch-up kits to use between treatments to help your teeth stay whiter longer.
- Frequency of dental cleanings. Having your teeth cleaned by your dentist every 6 months will help you maintain your results.
- Smoking and tobacco use. If you smoke or use chewing tobacco your results may not last as long, as these are known to stain teeth.
Is Professional Teeth Whitening Worth It?
Professional teeth whitening treatment does cost more than most of the products you can buy at the store. This is because they are professional grade products, essentially the same as prescription strength. Professional teeth whitening offers significantly better results than any over the counter product. Not only that, but the results last longer, which saves you money. You won’t have to continuously purchase more whitening products to use over and over again to maintain your results.
Where Can I Get Professional Teeth Whitening?
Barkoff Dental provides Zoom! In-office and Zoom! At-home teeth whitening treatments. Our patients are continuously pleased with the dramatic results that last.