A brighter smile can make your teeth look healthier and improve your overall appearance. Teeth naturally become dull or develop a yellow tint over time, which can make them appear unhealthy. The discoloration of teeth is caused by a combination of food, beverages, and thinning enamel that occurs with age.
If you want whiter teeth, you may be wondering what your options are for teeth whitening treatment. Consider the 3 main options for whitening your teeth.
1. Natural Remedies
You’ve probably heard of a few natural remedies for whitening your teeth, such as:
- Baking soda. Baking soda is abrasive and brushing your teeth with it can remove some surface stains.
- Strawberries. Strawberries are naturally acidic, which may be able to remove stains from your teeth.
- Pineapple. Pineapple contains a certain enzyme that may be able to remove stains from your teeth.
- Coconut oil. Swishing with coconut oil is supposed to reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth that could be causing stains on your teeth.
There is no official evidence to support any of these natural teeth whitening remedies, but since they are non-toxic you can safely give them a try.
2. Store Bought Whitening Products
Some whitening products can be purchased in stores or ordered online. You’ll find whitening toothpaste, mouthwash, gels, and strips that promise to make your teeth shades whiter after so many uses. These products typically contain hydrogen peroxide as an active ingredient that is known for its bleaching properties. The amount of peroxide varies by product, and you may experience some positive results. However, most people find that they don’t get the dramatic results they were hoping for with over the counter teeth whitening products.
3. Professional Whitening Products
If you want truly dramatic and lasting results, ask your dentist about professional teeth whitening treatment. Your dentist will offer you the choice between two types of teeth whitening treatment:
- In-office whitening. You can get dramatically whiter teeth in just one in-office treatment. Your dentist will apply a whitening agent to your teeth with a protective gel or guard over your gums to prevent irritation. The degree of whitening can be carefully controlled by your dentist for the safety of your teeth and to ensure a natural appearance. Results vary but may last anywhere from 1-3 years.
- At-home whitening. If you would prefer to whiten your teeth at home, your dentist can create a custom tray for you to use to apply the whitening agent. You’ll wear it according to your dentist’s instructions on a daily or nightly basis for a few weeks until your teeth are the desired shade of white. Results vary but may last up to a year.
Which Teeth Whitening Option is Best?
The best whitening option for you depends on your goals. If you want dramatic results, professional treatment is your best choice. Home remedies and store bought products don’t offer the same quality results, although they may cost less. Professional whitening treatment is also safe for your teeth and controlled by your dentist to reduce the chance of damage and sensitivity. Financing options are available to make professional teeth whitening treatment more affordable for you.
Barkoff Dental Offers Teeth Whitening Treatment
At Barkoff Dental we understand that you take pride in your appearance, which is why we offer ZOOM! teeth whitening treatment that is safe and effective. We provide both in-office and at-home teeth whitening treatment for your convenience, with a touch-up kit to keep your teeth white between treatments. Whiten your smile and improve your confidence today with professional teeth whitening treatment.